________________________________
From: Frank Swarbrick <frank.swarbr...@efirstbank.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Sun, February 28, 2010 2:52:46 AM
Subject: Re: Item on TPF
--------------SNIP-------------------------------

In my opinion only.  I could list probably 20 things I miss from VSE.  But I
don't want to bore everyone.
The main reason we are converting, as far as I can tell, is that z/OS is just
better supported, but by IBM and by ISVs.  I don't think anyone here is unhappy
with how VSE works.
Again, don't get me wrong, z/OS has a lot of good stuff.  But it seems to be
missing some things that I have found to be very useful on VSE.
------------------------SNIP---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not know about you but there is a list a mile long about the things I
hated about DOS.
One of the most difficult things that I ran across were split cylinders. DOS
documentation was in my opinion horrid. After reading the "doc" (I used that
term loosely) I had to go to our local IBM rep. He read it over and admitted he
didn't quite understand it. So he called up a friend of his in Hiedleberg
(Germany), and he got a quick lesson so he explained it to me. I guess I
understood it but as soon as I saw it used in DOS "JCL" (that is a laugh) It
baffled me so I took the JCL up to my IBM friend and asked him to translate and
he couldn't (I did not feel bad). He called his friend again and the friend was
puzzled but good through it and I got on the phone and we went step by step
through it. I walked away hating DOS forever more. There were other
idiosyncrasies that was so stupid I just shook my head and thought I would be
so happy never to see DOS again for the rest of my life. I didn't either.
I was happy to work on MFT it did make sense.

When I got out of the army the OS we were running was MFT and soon upgraded to
OS/VS2 then I switched jobs and have been MVS ever since.

YUCK DOS SUCKED.

Ed