On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:26:44 -0500, Thompson, Steve
<steve_thomp...@stercomm.com> wrote:
>I think we are talking about two different issues.

Entirely possible.  My apologies if I've misunderstood.

>Now, if you were to do this with a running system ("z/Linux" for
>instance), I'd think that the auditors and security people should be
>able to use piano wire or whatever.

I'll go with "whatever."  Piano wire would be too quick.

>But again if running under VM, VM has the ability to prevent your access
>to the target volumes by reason of IEF, does it not?

Sure, but no more than LPAR I/O config.  Exception: You can give a guest R/O
access to the volume - LPAR can't do that.  Of course, that doesn't help you
*repair* it unless you want to clone it and repair the clone, leaving the
original untouched.

I don't know what "IEF" means.

Alan Altmark
IBM