-----------------------------------------<snip>---------------------------------
Did the people understand the postings as written? That is the acid test.

Legal papers get edited and checked and re-checked - which doesn't mean they are unambiguously clear.
That's true, but law is very much a matter of (mis)interpreting language. The computer does exactly what you tell it, seldom more but, alas, ofter far less or widely at variance with your intentions.

At the risk of censure from the list, I was once told that a good lawyer could get a sodomy charge reduced to "following too close", entirely through the use of language.

My apologies to those who might be offended by that statement; it was meant only as an illustrative example.

Rick