You might want to consider getting somewhat more aggressive with dfHSM
migration. This will free up space, reduce extents required,.....

Also consider DVC in the SMS STORCLAS.

The historical pattern of DSN access (in most shops) is write/read once
and fageddaboudit.

HTH,

<snip>
Well it's not a performance issue I'm trying to resolve.  It's simply
having
the volumes so fragmented that users sometimes have a hard time finding
the
amount of space they need in 16 extents.
</snip>

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:30 PM, McKown, John
<john.mck...@healthmarkets.com>wrote:

> [...]
Volume
> Count) and so on. The DASD is so fast any more that we don't think it
is
> worth the time to do defrags on volumes. Oh, and we try to keep a
fairly
> good amount of "head room" in the Storage Groups as well.
>
> --
> John McKown
> Systems Engineer IV
> IT
>
> Administrative Services Group
>
> HealthMarkets(r)
>
> 9151 Boulevard 26 * N. Richland Hills * TX 76010
> (817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell
> john.mck...@healthmarkets.com * www.HealthMarkets.com
>
> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message may contain confidential
or
> proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
> contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the
original
> message. HealthMarkets(r) is the brand name for products underwritten
and
> issued by the insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. -The
Chesapeake
> Life Insurance Company(r), Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of
> TennesseeSM and The MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company.SM

Mark Pace
Mainline Information Systems
1700 Summit Lake Drive
Tallahassee, FL. 32317