-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 12:31 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Defrag

Hum, we don't even bother. We have set things up so that almost all our
datasets are multivolume, via the DATACLAS. And by using DVC (Dynamic
Volume Count) and so on. The DASD is so fast any more that we don't
think it is worth the time to do defrags on volumes. Oh, and we try to
keep a fairly good amount of "head room" in the Storage Groups as well.
<SNIP>

But how does this solve problems for NON-VSAM / non-EXTENDED data sets?
16 extents and you are done (on a volume). How does this reclaim space
in the VTOC (I don't really care, but I can see why one might, even with
indexed VTOC).

I had asked a related question some time ago and I don't recall any one
addressing it.

I know that we are all [probably all] running with RAID. But since a
real device is being emulated, we wind up with the problems that the
VTOC recognizes (even though, virtually, the data may be side by side in
an actual single extent).

Regards,
Steve Thompson