that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

r...@velocitysoftware.com (Rich Smrcina) writes:
> Most of the new support now centers around capacity (very large
> virtual machines) and virtual networking (virtual switch).  There is a
> statement of direction for clustering (not sysplex) and guest
> migration (moving live machines between VM systems). All of this with
> the intent of supporting Linux.

note that some of the commercial (virtual machine) timesharing service
bureaus had done moving live machines between VM systems in the early
70s, it was combination of 7x24 operation and providing services to
customers around the world .... addressing problem that there was no
down period for service ... where downtime/outages could be tolerated
for things like preventive maintenance. They would migrate virtual
machines as part of dynamically taking complexes offline (out of the
cluster)for service. misc. past posts mentioning the virtual machine
commercial timesharing services dating back to 60s:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#timeshare

The largest such of the clustering ("single system image") operations in
the late 70s (not limited to vm systems, but any mainframe complex,
anywhere) was the US VM-based internal (worldwide) sales&marketing
support HONE system that. The US HONE centers had been consolidated in
bldg. (they no longer occupy the bldg, but it is located next door to
the new facebook bldg ). This US datacenter was the largest (although
other HONE clones had started to spring up several places around the
world) with load-balancing and fall-over recovery.  Then because of
earthquake concern, in the early 80s, the cal. center was first
replicated in Dallas and then a 3rd in Boulder (with load-balancing and
fall-over across the redundant centers). a few recent posts in "Greater
IBM" discussing HONE:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#27 HONE & VMSHARE
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#24 Unbundling & HONE
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#25 HONE Compute Intensive
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#29 HONE & VMSHARE

misc. ohter posts mentioning HONE
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone

The product to customers saw big impact when POK got the development
group shutdown and all the people moved to POK to support MVS/XA
development. initially the product was also killed, Endicott managed to
save the product mission... but had to reconstitute a group from
scratch. This possibly contributed to the VM/SP quality mentioned in
Melinda's history ... recent reference:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#31 What was old is new again (water
chilled)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#36 What was old is new again (water
chilled)

The 4331/4341 saw big explosion in distributed machines connected via
network ... so the (their new) focus wasn't on the highend and/or
clustering in single location.

There was a research clustering project, eight 4341s with 3088 ... that
eventually offered as product ... but that ran into a couple problems

1) there was already pressure from high-end (mvs, 3033, 3081s, etc)
where customers found that multiple vm/4341s were much more cost
effective than the big iron ... so anything that enhanced this, was met
with opposition.

2) the internal product had things like cluster-wide operations taking
very small subsecond elapsed time. however, for product ship they were
forced to move to SNA ... and all of a sudden simple cluster-wide
coordination operations were taking nearly a minute elapsed time. This
is similar to the on-going SNA battles that my wife faced when she had
been con'ed into going to POK to be in charge of (high-end) mainframe
loosely-coupled architecture. The battles with SNA (ephemeral temporary
truces where she could use anything she wanted with datacenter walls but
SNA had to be used by anything crossing the walls of the datacenters)
and very little uptake at the time (except for IMS hot-standby until
sysplex) met that she didn't stay long ... misc. past posts mentioning
her peer-coupled shared data architecture
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#shareddata

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970