Mike Myers wrote:
> That's interesting to me that you would suggest IBM will give z/VM for
> free to hospitals. I am presently consulting at a hospital that is
> moving away from z/OS and moving their primary applications to  the
> mid-range.
>
> I would like to get the to look at using the mainframe for Linux,
> under z/VM.

Keep in mind that this is only for RESEARCH use.  Using the system to
run the hospital is NOT considered supporting research at the hospital.
That was the problem we had. We used VM + MVS to run our financials,
human resources, and student information systems. Those activities are
not qualified as "support of research" at our University (according to
IBM, those are administrative functions).

Thus we paid regular price (less 15% academic institution discount).
Which made it way too expensive for us. And paved the way for our
migration to Solaris (which was FREE whether we used it for academic OR
research OR administrative purposes).

--Stephen