Many users are "bigots". As are some sysprogs and programmers. A sad fact of
life.

> When the file arrives at OS, what are the line separators?  If they
> are, in fact, 0x15 (or you can arrange this by specifying a
> translation table with LOCSITE), the use of "USS" is minimal.
> FTP from DOS platform to Unix file; FTP from localhost (can be
> in same job step) Unix file to OS data set.

In my testing, when I ftp'ed a UNIX file with 0x0a (LF) only line endings
instead of 0x0d0a (CRLF), the resulting value on z/OS is 0x25. That's true
regardless of whether the data is in a z/OS legacy dataset or a z/OS UNIX file.

> One of the few good things about OS is its support of temporary data
> sets that can be passed from step to step.  I wish they had provided
> similar for Unix files (PATHDISP=PASS, rather than only KEEP
> or DELETE)
> with generated filenames, to be deleted at end of job, after accessing
> with referbacks in intervening steps.

I guess this would work in a JCL scenario. But not very well if you run
BPXBATCH and use a "shell script" to create the file. Or create the UNIX file
by ftp'ing into it. The initiator would have no idea that you created it. UNIX
has no concept similar to ours in this area. What I've seen done to emulate
this is to use "mkstemp()" to create a uniquely name file in a subdirectory.
Then open() or fopen() the file. Lastly, do an unlink() while the file is still
open. This removes the file's name from the subdirectory, but the data/space in
the filesystem is not free up (and can still be updated and extended) until it
is close()'d

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell