On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:41 AM, McKown, John <
john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> wrote:

> It's __that__ crazy an idea? It's difficult for me to tell. I'm about 6
> sigmas from any norm.

Right, always a good perspective to have. A friend and I often remind each
other that we may not be typical.

Is it that crazy? Not 20 years ago. Today? How many z/OS folks are
comfortable with Linux command line operation? I am, you are -- everyone
else, feel free to chime in <crickets>

OK, or maybe not <crickets>. Let me ask the question: aside from the SMOP,
who would find this interesting?

The related question is always: If this is such a great idea, why hasn't it
been done?" That should never be taken as a reason to squash innovation, but
especially with reasonably mature technologies like z/OS and commandline
(Linux, UNIX, DOS...), it's always worth asking. I suspect part of the
problem is that it's a very small market -- even if every z/OS shop wanted
it, how many seats would they want, and how much could you charge for them?
$1000 per shop would be a total market of like $3M, which is not a lot. And
I don't see how you'd get that much out of most z/OS shops -- they have
something that works, why would they spend money to fix what ain't broken?

Kirk Wolf and the Dovetail folks are the obvious folks to do something like
this.

Or do it as freeware, get famous...