In <a6b9336cdb62bb46b9f8708e686a7ea005c021b...@nrhmms8p02.uicnrh.dom>, on
03/19/2010
   at 09:54 AM, "McKown, John" <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> said:

>So I've been considering how I might do more z/OS related work on my
>Linux desktop.

IMHO there are only two reasonable approaches. I don't believe that we
should reinvent the wheel.

The first approach requires cooperation from IBM. Port the ISPF WSA to run
on Linux, extend the UI a bit to allow block and stream cut-and-paste and
enhance the ISPF workstation integration to allow remote directories and
files wherever ISPF currently allows z/OS Unix files.

The second approach is to port one of the open source desktops, e.g.,
KDE4, to z/OS and either add some integration facilities or rely on NFS.
Source code is available for Gnome, GTK+, KDE4 and QT4, among others.

   at 01:06 PM, "McKown, John" <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> said:

>I agree that GUIs can be far more productive.

They can also be far less productive. IMHO what matters most is the
quality of the UI, not its orientation. If the GUI has a wonky menu
structure or lacks good scripting facilities, it will definitely be harder
to use than a good CLI.

OTOH, I'd love to see something like WPS and DSOM as the basis for a Z/OS
desktop.