On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Natarajan Mohan <nmo...@edfund.org> wrote:

> All we need is a full fledged desktop for z/OS like Gnome or KDE which then
> we can export over a SSH session to any Xclient. If that desktop environment
> is there then all your ideas is possible.

BMC built one eight years ago (System Explorer for z/OS) and the response
was underwhelming. The target audience was people new to the platform and it
was supposed to be priced "per seat" but it ended up being tier priced like
everything else which certainly took a lot of the potential appeal
away. Arguably they didn't make any real effort to sell it, but frankly a
lot of TSO/ISPF folks were pretty hostile to the idea of a GUI that did
pretty much everything you can do in ISPF and SDSF. Whether that would still
be true today is open to debate. My guess is that old attitudes die hard.

--
This email might be from the
artist formerly known as CC