I found it... my setsys userunittable command was followed a setsys
nouserunittable command further down.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Pinnacle
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 11:11 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: I have lost it ---- HSM setsys commands

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adams, Tracy" <tad...@cvps.com>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 4:34 PM
Subject: I have lost it ---- HSM setsys commands

>I want to use an esoteric name in HSM so I add setsys
userunittable(vtl)
> in my arccmd00 parmlib member.
>
> I recycle HSM and no errors occur.  I issue the f hsm,query setsys and
> see no reference to "vtl".  I issue the f hsm,setsys
userunittable(vtl)
> and then reissue the query command and I see the recycle percentages
> displayed for unit=vtl
>
> How come my arccmd00 entry isn't taking?
>
> Now this is where it gets squirrely...  after I issue the f hsm
command
> to define the UUT I try to issue a setsys
> tapemigration(ml2tape(tape(vtl))) command and it fails with a parse
> error.  After much effort (reading and trying different things) I try
> the command again but this time I mistype it and dropped the third
> parentheses off the end and the command takes.  I try my subsequent
> commands that where failing also like migunitname(vtl) and
> backup(tape(vtl)) but drop the trailing paran and those commands work
as
> well.  Time for a beer!
>
> Can anyone explain this?
>
> Thank you all!

Tracy,

SETSYS USERUNITTABLE must PRECEDE any UNIT statements referencing it in
ARCCMDxx.  There was an old bug in the HSM starter set where the
ARCCMDxx
had the USERUNITTABLE after some UNIT statements, and I had the exact
same
problem when I used it.  None of the UNIT statements worked.

Good luck,
Tom Conley