On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:58:59 -0400, Don Imbriale <don.imbri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>One issue is that in the database of known software sometimes the names
>given to software is not what you might expect and in other cases software
>may be mis-identified.

Sometimes?  At our site, *much* of the time.

>Also, when the agent does run, there can be a lot of data collected.  Just
>as with management of SMF data, you might need to set up procedures for
>management of that data (when to offload it, where to put it, how long to
>keep it, etc.).

The amount of data generated here for the value derived bordered on obscene.

<don.imbri...@gmail.com>wrote:
>> The reports are only as good as the data that is collected.  If you install
>> new software or move things around, you need to re-run the initial scan.
>> Periodically the database of known software is updated (via PTF I believe).

Exactly my point.  The vendor-provided database was hopelessly innacurate,
and the reconciliation process to correct it cost more man-hours than any
process we could implement, and in the end, still did not yield reliable
results.

Regards,
Art Gutowski