Also, even if you don't run the agent to collect data about what programs
are being run, you can get reports about your inventory to identify what
software exists and where it is located.  You might be surprised to find old
versions long-forgotten or in libraries with unexpected names or even copies
that users have made in their own personal libraries.

One issue is that in the database of known software sometimes the names
given to software is not what you might expect and in other cases software
may be mis-identified.

Also, when the agent does run, there can be a lot of data collected.  Just
as with management of SMF data, you might need to set up procedures for
management of that data (when to offload it, where to put it, how long to
keep it, etc.).

- Don Imbriale