Scott,

OK, so in this context you mean tape drives connected by FICON channel
Extenders. In that case I disagree with your point in that paragraph. It is
incorrect to say that Remote Tape " normally has lower bandwidth costs than
remote disk."

Writing the same file to remote tape or remote disk will use the same
bandwidth. Do you have some information that says otherwise?

Whether we compare remote tape and disk, or replicated tape and disk the
bandwidth required is the same for duplication of the same data.

For MTTR comparing Remote Disk and tape, one advantage of Remote Disk is
that there are strategies where there is no need to restore. The backup
datasets are in native DSORG and your applications just allocate them and
go. There is no restore time. For strategies that use DFDSS or similar files
that require a restore, we are talking about Disk Subsystems that can read
in excess of 9.5GB/sec or 370K IOPS on FICON, depending on your blocksize
and configuration - and not with virtualized SATA Disks.

With HyperPAV allowing a high level of parallelism on Disk I'm just not sure
that tape subsystems are in the same performance league as disk given that
real or emulated tape IO is single threaded, the disk arrays front-ending
virtual tape are usually not high end specs, and there will some amount of
data that encounters staging delays in some Virtual Tape systems. (I still
have nightmares about the original IBM ATL replication performance, but I'm
sure it has improved).

I'll agree that MTTR from Remote Disk or Tape may not be valuable to some
sites, YMMV, but Remote Disk strategies can have a significantly better MTTR
than Remote or Replicated Tape, but not as good as replicated disk. This
faster MTTR may be valuable to some sites.

Ron

Behalf Of
> Scott Rowe
> Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 2:30 PM
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Subject: Re: [IBM-MAIN] Mainframe Executive article on the death of tape
>
> I don't know why you used "replication" in there, but there is quite
> definitely remote tape in use.

> Scott,
>
> Actually these implementations are remote disk, with some "HSM in a can"
that
> may or may not age-out the data to tape at a later time. I don't think
there
> is any true Remote Tape replication in the z/OS marketplace.
>
> YMMV, but there are shops that are finding a better TCO using commodity
priced
> rack and stack systems to do this, either through appliances, virtualized
> DASD, or both.
>

> > Radoslaw was talking about remote tape.  Some sites have a remote tape
> > library that they can backup into, this eliminates almost all tape
> > handling, and normally has lower bandwidth costs than remote disk.
> >

> Ron

> CONFIDENTIALITY/EMAIL NOTICE: The material in this transmission contains
> confidential and privileged information intended only for the addressee.
If
> you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have
received
> this material in error and that any forwarding, copying, printing,
> distribution, use or disclosure of the material is strictly prohibited.
If
> you have received this material in error, please (i) do not read it, (ii)
> reply to the sender that you received the message in error, and (iii)
erase or