From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Pinnacle
Sent: Wednesday, 24 March 2010 9:29 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Mainframe Executive article on the death of tape

Anybody read the Mainframe Executive article on the death of tape as a
backup media?  The guy writing it used to work for STK and Sun, and now
works for disk-based backup vendors.  He says the following:

- 15% of all backups fail (my experience < 1%)
- 10-50% of all restores from tape fail (my experience <1%)
- 40-50% failure when restoring data from tape > 5 years (my experience
again is <1%)

So what are you guys seeing out there?  Do we really have mainframe tape

failure rates in the double-digits percentwise?  If we do, then the guy
is
right and tape is dead, but I just don't buy those figures.  What say
you?

Regards,
Tom Conley