On 03/23/2010 05:29 PM, Pinnacle wrote:
> Anybody read the Mainframe Executive article on the death of tape as a
> backup media?  The guy writing it used to work for STK and Sun, and now
> works for disk-based backup vendors.  He says the following:
>
> - 15% of all backups fail (my experience < 1%)
> - 10-50% of all restores from tape fail (my experience <1%)
> - 40-50% failure when restoring data from tape > 5 years (my experience
> again is <1%)
>
> So what are you guys seeing out there?  Do we really have mainframe tape
> failure rates in the double-digits percentwise?  If we do, then the guy
> is right and tape is dead, but I just don't buy those figures.  What say
> you?
>
> Regards,
> Tom Conley

I can only conclude the author is totally ignorant of mainframe 3490,
3590, or later tape technology.

Old reel-to-reel technology was getting very marginal when we finally
got rid of our last drives - partly because you couldn't get any new media.

We once had problems with 3480 cart reliability because we inherited
some media from another company that hadn't properly maintained their
library and the bad media constantly contaminated the drive heads.  Once
we realized what was happening and got rid of the bad carts, reliability
went back to the usual < 1% failures.

We back up over 300 DASD volumes to 24 3590 carts every night, have
never had an undetected write problem, and those at worst are one or two
files of the 9,000+ created by this process during the month, and are
corrected on the spot by restarting the job to new media for subsequent
files.  We have never had a problem reading one of those backups.
Because of the large amount of data on one 3590, we do duplex much of
the archival stuff on 3590s, because there is always the chance of
accidental physical damage to a cart by either an Operator or a berserk
tape drive.  We rebuild a damaged 3590 cart maybe once every 6 months.

--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        jremoveccapsew...@acm.org