> Will SSDs ever "completely" replace hard disks? We'll see.

<snip>

I'm missing a whole lot of experience with regards to the changes with SSD
in the data center over the last 10+ years.  Perhaps someone can fill me in
a bit?  I remember a SSD unit in a data center I worked in around 1990-92
(not sure, really.  We still had a 3084 in production, so that should frame
it somewhat).  They had very performance-critical data sets on it...
important system software checkpoint data sets, etc.  It worked fine, until
issues with the UPS caused extended power outages; and that happened quite a
bit.  What has changed in SSD (longer  battery life?) or UPS systems
(something to make them more reliable?) that would ever get us to the point
of hard disks going away?  If there is even the smallest chance of the
batteries crapping out on the SSD's, it would be way too risky, no?

Thanks!

Scott T. Harder
Mainframe Services, Inc.
Naples, FL