--------------------------------<snip>---------------------------------------

>> <>A long absence of power to affect refreshes of solid state storage can
>> still render solid state storage unusable, while true disks don't need
>> refreshing to maintain the content.

There are some shops, in the Greater Toronto Area, using them in production.
----------------------------------<unsnip>--------------------------------------
I was once in a shop that used them in production as well. As LOCAL page
devices. The level of trust just wasn't there to allow any other usage.

------------------------------------<snip>----------------------------------<>

Rick:

I do not remember the maker (this was probably 30 years ago) we had a Solid
state device and we used it for two things. One was PLPA and the other was for
a high activity dataset that an application "needed". We fought with the
application people for several years to redesign it. We finally convinced them
(after a *LOT* of political cr*p) to use VIO. That small change decreased run
time from 4+ hours to less than 1 hour.

We also had issue with it when ever there was a power glitch it took a double
IPL (delete/define the PLPA). Management finally said the change over to VIO
was all that was needed and they kicked the vendor out. When it worked it
worked fine when it didn't it crippled the system.

Ed