On 12 Apr 2010 05:57:51 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>"Our Windows and Network Brethren are still in the Chaos stage. But have
>to admit, Windows is finally getting some order (so they say); like
>being upward compatible."
>
>LOL
>
>IMO, Windows has never heard of upward compatability. I have the scars
>from my home PC to prove it.
>JAVA seems to have taken this to the extreme. Does "Write Once, Debug
>Everywhere" ring a bell.

While I am still going through the joys of replacing an XP computer
with a powerful documentation-free ACER computer (quad core with
hyperthreading, terabyte hard drive, Blue Ray reader and 4 USB ports
on the top with 1 or 2 E-sata ports in back), most of the applications
have reinstalled with little or no problem.  Quicken 2006 won't print
reports because of a missing PDF driver but otherwise is OK.  Upward
compatibility seems decent.