Mornin' --

Well the first thing I found on a search for 'COBOL School' was
http://www.askedu.net/training_topic/k_COBOL_1.htm which asked me to
further clarify my self (and incidentally open me up to being spammed
by the loverly children, I expect).  But, scroll down to the bottom of
the page and there is a block of links under the heading "Find COBOL
courses and training in countries:", and both Canada and the USA are
included.  A bit of exploration shows a lot of XXX (Javva and .Net,
mostly) for the COBOL programmer, no surprise; but I also see Intro
and Advanced COBOL courses advertised along with a couple of DB2 Using
COBOL classes.  Most of these are online education, but hey.

As to what you can do to improve the situation, wander off to your
local Higher Education Venue and your local community college and/or
trade school.  Fund a scholarship or two; endow a Chair in the CS
department (Associate Professor of Dead Computer Linguistics); get
involved now.  It is already later than you think.

By the way, how old is your Systems Programming team....?

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:25 AM, Mike Baldwin <m...@cartagena.com> wrote:
> Hi IBM-MAIN,
>
> Yesterday Canada's well-respected auditor-general released a report
> complaining that aging government computer systems could halt delivery of
> basic services.  So we're bracing for the usual criticism of 'old mainframe'
> systems.  Today there are some specifics, including COBOL:
>
> "Auditor-General reports that updating systems could cost billions
> Ms. Fraser said the problem is so bad that some key programs may shut down.
> Meanwhile, Canada’s National Immigration Program runs on a programming
> language – COBOL – that is no longer being taught and the staff that
> understand it are retiring. The program also uses a database system called
> DMSII that dates back to the 1970s...."
>
> http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/government-wont-let-aging-computers-halt-basic-services-day-says/article1540750/
>
> Maybe you guys and girls have some ideas that would save us taxpayers from
> paying rising interest on more billions borrowed.
>
> Regards,
> Mike Baldwin
> Cartagena Software Limited
> Markham, Ontario, Canada