>Considering how many different programming languages I've had to deal
with over the course of my career, one of the most useful skills I acquired in
school was the ability to learn new programming languages,
not the ability to program in some specific language.

I don't disagree with that concept, but in the case of the rookie (or co-op)
programmer, why not teach them COBOL while you're teaching them programming
skills.
They have to learn some language, and COBOL is still a major need in the IT
working world.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!