Staffan,
 I think you have hit upon a situation that is covered in the DFSORT
Programmers Guide under VLSCMP.
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ice1ca10/3.12?
SHELF=EZ2ZO10F&DT=20050222160456
If a record is short any binary compare causes a comparison using  hex
zero for the 'missing' field in the short record.  So your LT,'    2' is
true even for a short record.
I still do not know why the short record is included because it does not
have 'X' in column 5.

By changing the INCLUDE offsets you have caused different records to be
selected; that doesnt fix the problem, just create a different report :-)

I think a better pair of eyes than mine is required to explain this.

Mike Wood   RMM Development