On Wed, 5 May 2010 13:26:47 -0400, Bob Woodside wrote:

>On Wednesday 05 May 2010, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>>
>> I'm mystified.  I use Filezilla server for SMP/E RECEIVE FROMNETWORK,
>
>I regularly use the FileZilla client on Windows, Linux, and Solaris
>workstations to connect to both the MVS and Unix sides of z/OS with no
>problem.
>
>However, there are a couple of caveats:
>
>You need an up to date version - older versions of the FileZilla indeed
>didn't understand the Unix side of z/OS. The oldest version I can find
>on any of my workstations id 3.0.1, which works fine.
>
>You need to specify the server type as Unix under the Advanced tab to
>access you Unix filesystem.

I don't use Filezilla client.  Is it a GUI?  I avoid GUI FTP clients.
FTP is broken as specified for GUI use:

The format of the reply to LIST or NLST is not specified, and
dependent on the server system type.  It was the assumption of
the design that the reply would be presented as text to a human
being at a terminal, who would be familiar with the conventions
of the server and know how to proceed.  The RFC does not even
provide any uniform way to know which entries in the reply text
are directories and which are basefiles.  Accordingly, the
GUI client must contain artificial intelligence to know the
conventions of each supported server.

z/OS is particularly problematic in that the format of the reply
differs radically according to whether the PWD is:

o A legacy data set prefix

o A PDS directory

o A Unix directory

Further, it's possible to CD to a partial prefix that doesn't
even appear in the responses to LIST or NLST.

This could be resolved by an extension to the FTP RFC specifying
a new command with a standard format for directory listings.  But
there's too little demand to make this likely.  And this should
be done with a newer, secure protocol such as SFTP that doesn't
transmit passwords in the clear and that doesn't require the
backsocked for data that's problematic for firewalls.

-- gil