On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 7:57 PM, J R <jayare...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Pedantic.  ...  GMT would be better ...
>
> Since you're being pedantic, wouldn't UTC be better?  ;-)
>

>> Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:16:27 -0500
>> From: paulgboul...@aim.com
>> Subject: Re: Getting "BIND/LINK" date out of load module members
>> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu

>> >Every other OS I know doesn't have PDSs.
>> >
>> I'll regard this as a defect in z/OS.
>>
>> Pedantic. Most of those other OSes have directories (i-nodes;
>> whatever) where such timestamp information is kept.

other platforms (windows, unix) have utilities (touch and the like)
that can update the external directory date and time stamp very
easily.  This is used quite often in the build process for force
unmodified code to be recompiled or relinked.  In this case, the
external timestamp does not reflect the actual link timestamp.

It would seem to be counter to the OPs requirement.

Also, in the case of composite links any external timestamp reflects
the status of the overall module and not necessarily any particular
component.  This is probably not relevant to the OPs requirements.

Externally maintained date and time stamps of any nature fall prey to
these type of utilities.