Chris

Yup, I guess there is some merit - gosh, I've done it again! - in looking
through all the previous posts.

>...> Kees Vernooij wrote all of 7 hours before

>...> Yes there is, check the ABSTR parameter on the DD statement.

Chris Mason

On Thu, 27 May 2010 08:28:51 -0600, Blaicher, Chris
<chris_blaic...@bmc.com> wrote:

>To answer the question, rather than ask why --- Use ABSTR function of the
SPACE parameter as in

>//DUMMY  DD  DSN=SOMETHING,SPACE=(ABSTR,
(150,15)),UNIT=SYSDA,VOL=SER=XXXXXX

>That allocates 10 cylinders starting at cylinder 1, assuming 3390 devices.  If
you wanted a PDS with 15 directory blocks,
>SPACE=(ABSTR,(150,15,15))
>
>Chris Blaicher
>Phone: 512-340-6154
>Mobile: 512-627-3803
Behalf Of Hal Merritt
>Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:01 AM
>To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
>Subject: Re: Allocate a dataset in an specific track into the DASD (z/OS)
>
>Not with modern DASD, AFAIK. Tracks, cylinders, etc are just logical
constructs. The 'front' of a volume could appear just about anywhere on the
physical disk.

>Except for some potential logical fragmentation issues, why do you care?

Behalf Of MONTERO ROMERO, ENRIQUE ELOI