On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:00:00 GMT, Ted MacNEIL
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>However, I do agree that DB2 should play by
>the rules and not override a system limit
>
>I disagree!
>I'd rather have my business stay up, than fail because a system programmer
'knew better'!

>We just had the argument about resources needed to do the job!
>
>Right backatchya!

No comparison with that conversation.

Sorry to say Ted, but I think you've really missed the boat on this one.

If that system programmer is the DB2 sysprog that decided to play
with his test subsystem and define 30G of buffer pools, he will
quickly put my system in a wait state (assuming DB2 actually tried to
use that storage).

The DB2/CICS/WAS/ISV/etc. folks typically look at things from their own
perspective only.  Part of the job in my group is to be the gate keeper.
As a capacity guy you should understand that because you have the same
responsibilities to the health of the overall system.

What if every authorized program / product felt "they knew more" and
bypassed IEFUSI and just used whatever above the bar storage they
wanted with no overall system control?

I'd rather have the one DB2 subsystem or program abend than the
entire system in a wait state.

Using your argument, IBM should remove the ability of IEFUSI to
influence region size and MEMLIMIT altogether.  Sorry, given the
past history this makes no sense at all to me (IMHO).  This is the
same place 31-bit was when systems only had 16M (or less) of
central storage - only worse.  64-bit potential is just too big.

Regards,

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America and Farmers Insurance Group