Is this for strictly VSAM databases?  Or DB2?  Or Other?

Is your desire to create a test DataBase, back it up (using FLashcopy) and
put it on a different LPAR into production?
Or are you looking to put it on a different op/sys like AIX or Solaris?

If strictly mainframe, what is your current z/OS level?  And what hardware
is your dasd? (EMC, IBM, other)?

Lizette