Hello forumers,
first let me apologize for the not enough information in my query.
I'll try to elaborate customer environment and requirements:

1. z/OS 1.9
2. DB2 V8
3. CICS V3
4. Disks IBM DS8700

Few insights of my own.

1. DB2 has a utility called System Backup which use FlashCopy to enable copies
    of DB2 objects (databases and tables) un-disruptive (DB2 create
point of consistency and
    signal the DS8000 to make the copy (using FlashCopy).
2. CICS load modules (PDS libraries) can be copied the same way, I see
no problem with
    extents since the new system will come up after all the copies done.

Finally, what we are looking for an installation that is upgrading
regularly their applications
using the mentioned or other similar method willing to share their experience.

I hope it clarifies my somewhat cryptic query.

Thank you,

Arye.