------------------------------<snip>-------------------------------------

I would have thought Katrina would have widened peoples perspective on
circumference of influence.

The only thing we learn from history is people fail to learn from history.

Look at the Y2K+10 problem; 10 years later and programmes are still failing for
exactly the same reason.
I would attribute much of this to management's failure to think any farther ahead that the tips of their (noses?). And programmers that think they know all the pitfalls and don't bother to examine the experiences of other who are willing to share.
ARROGANCE AND EGOTISM RULE!!!   :-(

Rick