Tim,

On some non IBM products it's part of provisioning a LUN and managing it as
part of a Tiered Storage strategy, bet it virtualized for CKD or FBA. A
little more sophisticated then manually flicking the write protect switch.

Of course none of the implicit write protection applies when the virtual
tape is still in your Virtual Tape cache (on disk).

I see you've moved to Singapore. I highly recommend the Crazy Elephant
Bar... I lived there for 7 years (Singapore, not the bar).

Ron

Behalf Of