On 06/23/2010 02:56 AM, R.S. wrote:
> Schwarz, Barry A pisze:
>> Doesn't anyone exercise the DR plan anymore?  If so, without reading
>> the backups?
>
> Of course we do! Does anyone use PTAM for DR? Really?
> We use remoted copy for DR. We don't need to recover anything from tape,
> because we have all the data on DASD. Oh, we do have tapes with MIGRATs
> and backups in DR site - we duplicate all the data on tape, and one
> volume set resides in remote ATL. Without virtual tapes.
>
> BTW: Tape is fine for recovery single datasets. Time to recover all the
> data from tape is simply unaccpeptable from business point of view. Not
> to mention RPO for tapes (Recovery Point Objective).

Yes, really!  PTAM to a remote secure vault, for transfer to appropriate
DR site in event of a disaster.

We would never consider using mass tape restores with only DFSMShsm or
DB2 Utility facilities, as that WOULD take days.  Generating full-volume
DR dumps with FlashCopy for later staging to 3590-H carts involves a
system disruption of only a few seconds, and restoring all the 100's of
DASD volumes at DR from 3590-H drives with DASD and tape under FICON
channels takes about 2 hours - and we then get to do some administrative
tasks and twiddle our thumbs waiting on availability of the
non-mainframe servers.

It all depends on the nature of your business, whether you have legal
requirements for sub-hour recovery times, whether recovery to a
point-in-time with loss of several hours data is acceptable, whether the
business can manage to run and survive for short-term, maybe even a day
or two, without DP support, and what the risk factors are for your
location. A management that pays for a DR capability that exceeds their
requirements is simply wasting money, and companies the regularly waste
money won't need DR after they go out of business.

It would appear your company must have the luxury (and expense) of
owning their own fixed-location hot site.  I trust it is far enough from
your primary site to not be exposed to the same failures.  In the U.S.
I've always felt that for unhardened centers a 30 - 50 mile separation
should be minimum, but  if you are anywhere near "tornado alley", in
coastal hurricane States, in States subject to major storms that damage
power distribution systems or cause flooding, or near known earthquake
fault lines, that separation minimum should be several hundred miles.

In the U.S. it is possible to contract for DR services at an un-owned
hot site and maintain remote DASD and remote virtual tape there, but
this is not cheap.  Worse, the typical DR hotsite contract in the U.S.
allows for the possibility in the event of a regional disaster that
others who "declare a disaster" earlier may fill all the space in your
normal hot site and you may end up in an alternate hot site separated
from your remote data and have to copy all your data to an alternate
site before running production.
--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        jremoveccapsew...@acm.org