>Right now there are too many conflicting points of control in z/OS. The
DB2 designers have chosen to remove what might otherwise be a hidden
limit (the MEMLIMIT) and in doing so they have given control over (and
responsibility for) storage management to those who, in theory,
understand the database and its business goals. You may disagree with
that philosophy, but you have not presented any case that it's wrong.
Just different

That was the point I was attempting to make.
You just did it more succinctly than I did (my government background harmed my
written skills more than I realise sometimes).

Power to the DBA's. Down with a SYSPROG tyrany (8-{]}

All kidding aside, we have to grow with the need.
And, setting low limits will bite you later.
We really DO need more than 640K!

As an aside, I was curious and checked out PAGETOTL.
When we upgraded from 2.1 to 1.4, it was regressed.
It's now at 5 (guess how many locals we have?).

(PS: the dig against CC & BMC was truly uncalled for. Ad hominum arguments do
nothing but p-o the hominum.
I know I sometimes fall into that trap; I try not to)

-teD

In God we Trust!
All others bring data!
 -- W. Edwards Deming