>DB2 is still just an application running on the OS, so your point
doesn't apply there.

It's more than just an application.
It is a sub-system that has always used CPU and Memory to reduce I/O (the
longest portion of any response event).

Now, with V8 and 64-bit we have the potential to reduce the CPU consumption at
the expense of the cheapest component (memory).

Where is the foul here?

This is more than a religious issue.
IBM has finally gotten it right (or, at least partially), and everybody wants
to cut it off at the ankles.

Go in with your eyes open, and (as hard as it may be) accept it.
This is no longer your father's DB2.

Don't get me wrong!
I realise DB2 has issues.
But, some of the unnatural acts DBA's had to do, up to and including V7, cost a
lot in CPU.
We are running at 100% for at least 15 hours a day, and sometimes up to 20.
Any CPU reduction is a good thing.
And, I'll toss the memory (aux and real) at it, if that's what it takes.

-teD

In God we Trust!
All others bring data!
 -- W. Edwards Deming