It all depends on the changes involved.  In my situation, I share the SMFPRMxx
member across all systems, so I can make a minor change and activate it on my
test system to make sure there are no errors.  So if a vendor product asked for
an SMF exit to be activated, I wouldn't consider it a big deal.  It would have
to go through change control, of course, but it wouldn't require an IPL.

>>> Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> 7/20/2010 12:17 PM >>>
> Where  / what exactly are you reading and where?

I have spent so much time in the past 48 hours with so many manuals I have
no idea where I got that idea exactly. Sorry.

> Yes, via SMFPRMxx update and a SET SMF=xx command.

Psychology question, not a technology question: In the opinion of the
readers of this list, would most shops consider that a routine thing or
would they consider it a potentially disruptive thing?

In other words, if a vendor's documentation or support response said "update
your SMFPRMxx and issue a SET SMF=xxx" would most shops be likely to say
"oh, okay" or would most shops say "in your dreams -- we'll do this at the
next scheduled IPL"?

Charles