> Where  / what exactly are you reading and where?

I have spent so much time in the past 48 hours with so many manuals I have
no idea where I got that idea exactly. Sorry.

> Yes, via SMFPRMxx update and a SET SMF=xx command.

Psychology question, not a technology question: In the opinion of the
readers of this list, would most shops consider that a routine thing or
would they consider it a potentially disruptive thing?

In other words, if a vendor's documentation or support response said "update
your SMFPRMxx and issue a SET SMF=xxx" would most shops be likely to say
"oh, okay" or would most shops say "in your dreams -- we'll do this at the
next scheduled IPL"?

Charles