Gilbert Saint-Flour wrote:

>>> Is that due to EAV, or rather XTIOT?
>
>> Dynamic allocation options that can be exploited based on new option in R12
>
> Are you saying that in z/OS R12, DCBTIOT may no longer be updated when
> GET/READ switches to the next DD in a concatenation ?  In the past 35 years,
> to detect this type of situation in my programs, I used the fact that DCBTIOT
> is updated.  If it no longer happens, it would be a surprise !

Hmmm, well, I still use code which searches the TIOT the old-fashioned
way, and if a DD is not found then it is assumed to not be allocated.
If XTIOT catches on in a big way, this could be a problem too.

Still, if we remember that XTIOT is a feature of dynamic allocation, then
(a) JCL DD statement allocations will use the TIOT and not the XTIOT, and
(b) if your program does the dynamic allocation then you control if the
XTIOT is used or not.

Also, it is safe to say DCBTIOT will still be maintained as expected
when the allocation uses the TIOT.

But, you can see that since the virtual storage address of an XTIOT
entry can be more than a GB away from the start of the TIOT, the
2-byte DCBTIOT "TIOT offset" field cannot be maintained as we are
used to when the relevant file uses the XTIOT.

I guess I better stick to writing batch programs...
:)

Cheers,
Greg