On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:56:39 +0200, R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl> wrote:

>Binyamin Dissen pisze:
>> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:59:19 -0300 Clark Morris <cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>> :>While I am semi-retired (offer me a good contract and ...), I am
>> :>appalled that a function is installed that requires a FORCE for it to
>> :>shutdown.  If I were a systems programmer, I would APAR that at a
>> :>severity 2 and escalate if not accepted.  FORCE or even CANCEL should
>> :>not be a part of normal shutdown practice.
>>
>> That has been part of the normal shutdown since at least early Z, and quite
>> possibly in OS390 (do not have enough neurons to save all this info)
>
>FORCE - I have never ever met such "normal shutdown"
>CANCEL - yes, it happens. Example: APPC.
>
>Is it normal, should it be tolerated - in fact I don't care as long as
>it is written in manual as proper method.
>
>BTW: in THIS case (AXR04) there is no need to use FORCE, CANCEL is
>enough. FORCE is for AXR, but it does not prevent JES2 shutdown.

I guess you may have had to read between the lines slightly, but  Ed Jaffe
already told you that FORCE AXR,ARM was the command.   It will bring
down any / all of the AXR related address spaces.

BTW, "FORCE ARM" is no more than a cancel except that it goes through
ARM processing.  It doesn't do a memterm like a regular FORCE.

Mark
mailto:mzel...@flash.net