>There are several system address spaces that must be canceled to shut
>them down. AXR and TN3270 are the only two I can think of that use FORCE
>ARM.

Until a short while ago, RRS was one of those that needed to be
FORCE,ARMed. IBM has finally seen the light and provided a 'normal shutdown'
command for it. Took them long enough!

Add to that the archaic AVM (availability manager) product. The only exploiter
I have ever seen is IMS, so we ran this. That stupid thing also needed to
come down via force,arm, *and* it had the gall to write a (scheduled, non-
suppressible) dump for every abenda22 it got. When I tried to get IBM to fix
the stupid dump, I ran into a wall. They didn't even understand the *problem*!
On the other hand, if they wanted the address space not to be terminated in
any way, they should have made sure it isn't seen on a D A command (just like
any system address space isn't seen in such a generic command). Which IBM
support also did not understand.

So using FORCE (because development dollars are insufficient?) has a very
long history with IBM.

As for using it to terminate a non-cancelable address space: Have you ever
tried to terminate an IMS BMP that had a abend and didn't voluntarily come
down? You'll get caught in a 'non-cancelable, use force arm' - 'must be
canceled before force arm'ing it' message loop. Most especially when that BMP
isn't really known to IMS anymore. The only way to get that down is an IMS
restart, which makes a lot of development people *very* happy during the
day. In some cases I was able to terminate that BMP using the callrtm program
that floats around. Lately, that didn't work anymore. Oh, and the cause was
usually an abend878-10 during testing when some compuware product didn't
clean up after themselves. Their software support was also useless, they
didn't understand the problem.

>Silly lad, of course ARM has nothing to with ARM!
ROTFLMAO!

Regards, Barbara Nitz