On Nov 2, 2005, at 12:00 AM, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

It's a GREAT idea, however the enforcement and administration
of collecting those income taxes would likely be next to
impossible.  What do you think?

Everything old is new again!
This has been an issue due to the INTERNET for years.

When we purchase software in Canada, we always download it.
CD/Tape/Manuals are subject to taxes, dutiesn tariffs, et al.

Downloads, like butterflies, are free.

I know both the US and the Canadian Federal Governments are working on how to get their pound of flesh.

-teD

Ted,
This reminds of of an incident that happened (10 or so years ago). I was flying up to Canada for Guide A person that I was traveling with was supposed to give a presentation . The customs people would not let him bring copies of the presentation into the country (Canada) they insisted that it was against Canadian laws to do so (something about taking away jobs from Canadians in order to reproduce the handouts).

He ended up leaving the handouts at customs and the gave the presentation with out the handouts. He explained to the group the situation. IIRC that GUIDE was the thinnest for handouts in my memory.

Ed