Time to enflame the waters...

There is absolutely nothing wrong, incorrect, improper, or unexpected about
any system space (GRS) using as much memory above 2G as it wants, provided
that it has documented that use so that customers can properly plan. Note
that I am differentiating GRS from DB2 in this regard.

To my thinking MEMLIMIT is the above 2G analog of REGION. REGION does not
apply to authorized "high private" subpools; MEMLIMIT would not apply to
"high private above 2G" if such a term existed but it comes down to
"storage above 2G obtained by system spaces". Of course there's an
intrinsic limit of something less than 2G that anyone could get from high
private subpools and of course a far greater intrinsic limit for above 2G
storage. MEMLIMIT applies to what non-system jobs are constrained to. If
the system needs the storage to do its job, then it needs the storage
(emphasis on "needs"). And all that you would do is break the system by
trying to impose a limit where none should be imposed.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design