On Monday 26 July 2010 11:23, R.S. wrote:
> Bill Fairchild pisze:
> >
> > The Russian name, when transliterated into English, is Kaliningrad,
> > and the German name means King's Mountain.
>
> Just to complement this off-topic thread:

OT, yes, but entertaining.

> Kaliningrad can be
> translated as City of Kalinin. Kalinin was Russian communist,
> Stalin's co-worker. Polish name was Królewiec or Królówgród, which is
> PARTIALLY similar to Koenigsberg (Król = Koenig = King)
> (Gród=town/city=Burg <> Berg). So German equivalent name should be
> (but it's NOT) KoeningsBURG.

Actually, I believe the German name was a translation of the Latin name,
Regiomontium.

> BTW: Immanuel Kant lived there.

And he most likely called it Königsberg. Which leads me to wonder what
was the etymology of the town's name in Old Prussian (which died out
shortly before Kant's time). I find mention of 2 names, Twānkstathe and
Kunnegsgarbs. The latter I take to be a variant of the King's Thing
names, but I've no clue about the former.

Of course, my knowledge of Baltic languages is even scarcer than my
knowledge of Polish (non-existent) and Russian (nearly so).

Cheers,
Bob