>The resource deficiency,
then, appears to have been in the designers' perspective.
Considering options and selecting one based on a cost/
benefit analysis is more laudable than approaching the
problem with tunnel vision and failing to consider other
options than one.

No!
The lack of perspective is yours!

If I try to delete a PDS(E) member, as somebody else pointed out, do I delete
it, its aliases, what's if it's an alias?

At least we know its behavior.
But, why should we change it just because Paul wants us to.

We have documented and consistent behaviour that many understand.

But, Paul doesn't like it, so we'd better change!

-
I'm a SuperHero with neither powers, nor motivation!
Kimota!