Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>>Just tell them, "Oh!  RACF does all that!"
>Lying to your management is not a good idea.

Agreed about lying, but see below:

Paul wrote on 2 July this (I quote fully for clarity):

 >>> "Perhaps it's merely to satisfy a management edict that "Every computer
must run AV protection!"  (What about the mainframe?  Just tell them, "Oh!
RACF does all that!")"

IMHO: Actually on z/OS side (Not Linux or Unix side) there are no antivirus
software, because there are NO [1] vendors to start with it.

While you can say 'RACF does all that', it is a good thing to remember that
RACF does NOT *scan* datasets or files or JES2/3 Spool data for threats.

Perhaps you could do some scanning on e-mails before you pass it to SMTP,
but that is another story for a 'do nothing' day... ;-D

For really bored sysprogs and wannabee enterpreneurs ;-D :
You could perhaps do some scanning for each access attempt (during
RACROUTE call) if you see your way open to handle severe performance
problems... 8-D

[1] - Last time I checked that was about a year or so ago... ;-D

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht