On 3 Aug 2010 11:04:09 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>"The company commands 85 percent of the mainframe market and can't afford
>to abandon a technology that despite its age, still underpins some 10,000
>mainframes that are used by 4,000 to 5,000 customers around the globe."
>
>and
>
>"The number of mainframes today has dropped to about 10,000, from 30,000
>to 40,000 in earlier decades, according to research firm IDC."
>
>My, oh, my... Any proof of that claims?
>
>I need something to swallow that statements...

Two of the last three places where I contracted have gotten rid of
their mainframes.  Many organizations have consolidated data centers
and reduced the number of mainframes owned by the organization.  Most
of the shops in the Maritime provinces of Canada that ran mainframes
are no longer doing so.  From what I see on this forum, the market is
shrinking.

Clark Morris