>>> On 8/5/2010 at 02:37 PM, Clark Morris <cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> As someone whose mainframe training in the 1960's was OJT on DOS and a
> combination of OJT, some employer sponsored IBM courses and SHARE
> attendance in the late 1970s an 1980s, I question the need for
> operating specific college training.  Given some of the sharp people I
> have met without a college degree, including my former boss who
> authorized both the courses and my SHARE participation I question the
> absolute need for a degree. The industry needs people who enjoy making
> certain the system is reliable and customizing it to meet the needs of
> the organization.

Ah, but that requires management that is willing for employees that are new to
the role to take some time before becoming highly productive.  Sadly, I think
that these days employers expect to hire experts, pay them entry level wages,
and then never pay for any further training for them as technology evolves.
Further, they depend far too much on paper credentials in lieu of spending some
time determining if the job applicant is a poseur or the real deal.

Mark Post