On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 08:23:18 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>In <listserv%201008131709378676.0...@bama.ua.edu>, on 08/13/2010
>   at 05:09 PM, Paul Gilmartin said:
>
>>I'll agree enthusiastically except where the change could be made in
>>a compatible manner, altering no sizes, displacements, nor content of
>>existing data bases.  One example might be that where Dec. 31, 1999
>>is represented as x'99365', Jan. 1, 2000 could (have) been
>>represented as x'A0001'
>
>That would not have been compatible.

Well, yes.  The entire 21st century is intrinsically incompatible
with software incapable of formatting dates past 1999.  I merely
suggested that bit patterns previously deemed invalid could be
used (as a stopgap, I failed to say) to encode a further range of
dates until necessary changes in data formats can be made.

-- gil