On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:
<deleted
> I was more thinking of 1582.  Wikipedia (which is always right
> except when it disagrees with you) says:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proleptic_Gregorian_calendar
>
>    The proleptic Gregorian calendar is produced by extending
>    the Gregorian calendar backward to dates preceding its
>    official introduction in 1582.

<deleted>
> -- gil

The Julian Calendar was still in use in Greece at the time of the 1896
Olympics, and the 12 day discrepancy caused problems with visas and
passports.  The Orthodox churches (Greek, Russian, etc) still use the
Julian calendar for holidays so their Christmas falls 13 days later
than the Gregorian Christmas.

http://www.tondering.dk/claus/cal/node3.html#SECTION00324000000000000000
--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA