From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Ron Hawkins
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2010 8:07 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: RMF and disk activity questions

Rex,

Perhaps an oversimplification, but if you had an IO rate of 5/sec at 200ms
response time for 20 minutes, and then 500/sec and 2ms response time for 10
minutes the average response time for the whole 30 minutes would be just shy
of 6ms.

        Avgrspms        =((5*200*1200)+(500*2*600))/((5*1200)+(500*600))
                        =5.88ms

I'd suggest starting an RMF II Background session to monitor these volumes
at intervals of one minute or less, using the delta option.

If the vendor needs to see RMF data as hard fact then this is just as good
as a monitor 1 report from RMFPP. A 5 second interval would give you a lot
granularity as to the behavior from when the clone process starts and ends,
and you can fold the five second data into larger intervals if required.

Ron

Behalf Of

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ERBZRA91/5.1.3?SH
> ELF=ERBZBK91&DT=20091215152130. If you're having a problem reading the
fine
> manual, it says "The time the interval began, where hh is hours, mm is the
> minutes, and ss is seconds."
>
> I think you have answered the other questions for your self - the 30
minute
> interval.
>
> Omegamon and RMF get their data from the same source, RMF, so the only
> difference is that with Omega on real time displays the values you are
> looking at are more like RMF Monitor II with Delta on, than the average of
> response time over 30 minutes.
>
> The symptoms you describe are exactly what one would expect to see from
> classic Sibling Pend. The IO activity for the resynch is hosing your MF
> sequential Pre-fetch. You may have already had a problem before the Open
> System Cloning started running, and this has tipped it over the edge. Time
> for some classic disk tuning activity.
>
> Ron

The information contained in this e-mail may contain confidential and/or
privileged information and is intended for the sole use of the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please reply to
sender and destroy or delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.