Within a time sharing address space, in essence, TPUTs are solicited by TGETs.
That's what makes it interactive -- the synchronicity.

Messages from a submitted job back to its submittor are asynchronous,
with '***' alerts that require a change from fullscreen mode to line mode, and
back.

The SEND command achieves this reasonably well and is suited to occasional
notification messages.  However, defining a file with TERM=TS implies that
there may be a large number of asynchronous messages.  Interleaving these
with the user's routine interactive messages would not be pretty.